Re: [Debconf-team] Using pentabarf for minidebconfindia

Praveen A dijo [Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 07:19:53PM +0530]:
> > I don't know if this is feasible. Our Pentabarf is heavily tweaked for
> > DebConf's peculiarities, which are not few, and I'd really prefer not
> > to drive it in two different directions at once (as a miniDebConf has
> > quite different needs than a full DebConf). As for setting up a
> > completely independent installation, Joerg Jaspert disuaded me from
> > trying, saying it is really not a nice beast to set up.
>
> hmm last year we were trying to setup our own registration systems and
> it was Joerg who suggested pentabarf :)
>
> > What are your specific needs for requesting Pentabarf? What do you
> > want to manage with it? There are several systems for managing (more
> > regular) conferences, which I'm sure will be much easier to set up and
> > use.
>
> We just need an attendance register, with a few checkboxes, like "I
> want a T Shirt", "I want food", "Please arrange stay for me", "I will
> bring my laptop" etc. We would not want people to create a new login
> every year too. Also it would make minidebconf much closer to debconf
> too - in the way how it is organised.
>
> If you suggestion is to setup a different system, we can do that too.

Well, I cannot obviously speak for Joerg - I am the current person in
charge for Pentabarf modifications for DC11, and... Well, I know that
if I install it for your miniconf, I'll be hating you as much as I
hate the whole world by now ;-) What you need is, I guess, a much
smaller system, maybe even a simple homebrewn little webapp with as
little information on it as possible - but what's IMO most important:
With local knowledge to be able to modify it and extract any data you
need from it whenever need it, without having to coordinate with
people living across the ocean and in different timezones.

Greeetings,