Re: On visas also (was: Re: [Debconf-team] US travel warning about Bosnia)

Christian Perrier dijo [Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 07:11:14AM +0200]:
> > INDIA
>
> I should mention that the only registered attendant of DC6 who is a
> citizen of India (Guntupalli Karunakar) had a very bad experience of
> UK visas as his one was refused for a *transit* in UK, which finally
> prevented him to attend DC6. I guess there was some lack of
> preparation on his side (he admits it) but this raises the need for a
> very careful preparation of visas for the people who might need
> some. UK seems very keen for issuing visas, at least for some
> originating countries.

Yes, he admits it, but mainly because he couldn't start requesting the
transit visa until he got the entry visa to Mexico - Similar to
Safir's situation. Guntupalli's Mexican visa was issued on time, but
for some reason (might be the haste?) the UK one was denied.

> Let's face it: I'm afraid that "our" western european countries are
> not the most welcoming in the world.....when it comes at foreign
> countries which are a potential source of immigration.

Well, Mexico has a history of being very welcoming to all kinds of
people; prosecuted people from all kinds of countries found their home
here. But we are now a border. We are a part of an assymetrical free
trade agreement and whatnot, and have a very long border with the
USA. The border is 3000km long - and about 4000km wide. Shit. Just
remembering the whole business gets me bitter again :(

Now, yes, rich countries do not welcome migrants very easily - But the
problem in the case of Bosnia is that it is a young country. I'm sure
the UK has embassies in the tiniest country (as every country is
interested in trading with them)... But Bosnians and Latin Americans
have not yet had time to greet each other :(

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23