Re: On visas also (was: Re: [Debconf-team] US travel warning about Bosnia)

> Countries in registration list for DebConf6 whose nationals require a
> visa to visit the UK:
>

> INDIA

I should mention that the only registered attendant of DC6 who is a
citizen of India (Guntupalli Karunakar) had a very bad experience of
UK visas as his one was refused for a *transit* in UK, which finally
prevented him to attend DC6. I guess there was some lack of
preparation on his side (he admits it) but this raises the need for a
very careful preparation of visas for the people who might need
some. UK seems very keen for issuing visas, at least for some
originating countries.

I don't doubt that the local team for Edinburgh would be able to help
solving these issues out. The main point is that one should not leave
people alone with their visas problems. People who need visas will
most of the time need very early preparation, invitation letters and
probably most often, funding in advance.

Let's face it: I'm afraid that "our" western european countries are
not the most welcoming in the world.....when it comes at foreign
countries which are a potential source of immigration.