On visas also (was: Re: [Debconf-team] US travel warning about Bosnia)

Moray Allan wrote:
> This certainly won't put *me* off going to Bosnia (and my own government
> seems less negative about the country), but given the number of
> Developers in the US it seems worth the DebConf team being aware of the
> Warning.

I have a personal issue which should come up sooner or later.

After checking quickly if Mexican citizens were required to get a visa
to enter Bosnia, I took a deeply look into it.

I usually check for information and advices on this matter on the website
of the Mexican foreign affairs secretary when travelling. According to
the site (and then confirmed on the consulate information available from
the Bosnian government), I do need for a visa. Since there is no Bosnian
embassy in Mexico (there is no Mexican embassy in Bosnia, neither),
apparently I have to travel to the nearest Bosnian consulate which is
located, in my case, in the US. This took me by surprise and I'm now
concerned on Latin people who probably would like to attend DC7, if it
happened to be in Bosnia.

Apparently, as Mexican citizen, I have to travel to one of the Bosnian
consulates on the US (located in Washington, Chicago and NYC, all of
them in northern US) to a personal interview, according to the Mexican
government information, which is the *only* way to get the visa. This
made me look for more information on Latin people, specially since my
girlfriend, who would be attending also, is Venezuelan.

I found that there's also an embassy in Argentina, but any of those are
difficult or expensive ways to get the Bosnian visa for me or people
from north South America: Specially also, since flying to the US to get
the visa would take up time and stuff to get the American visa for most
of the people who don't have it (which personally is not my case, but my
gf doesn't have it, i.e.), and flying to Buenos Aires would be extremely
expensive.

So, I'd really like to know how people from Latam *really* could do
these processes. I don't want to think that, since we had DC6 here, now
it's our turn to not assist to DC7, or not be supported on some way, or
similar.

The Mexican government also states that people travelling to Bosnia
should be aware of safety issues.

 http://www.mvp.gov.ba/index_eng.htm
 http://www.sre.gob.mx/delviajero/europa/ser.htm [spanish]
 http://www.embajadabh.org.ar/