Re: Debian Day

Hi!

* Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> [050524 12:19]:

> These are somewhat technical (except "What is Free Software"). Should we
> have two trails during Debian Day, a lightly technical one and a
> non-technical one?

The schedule looks curently that short, I don't think that is needed at
the moment (of course Jaldhars workshop will run partly parallel, I
don't think we can avoid that if we stay at one day).

> > - Something local about free software and free culture:
> >   Fabian Fagerholm is contacting finish organizations like their CC and
> >   EFFI (similar to EFF) for something hot like software patents
> Creative Commons has expressed interest. The details are open, but if
> their schedule permits it, they will participate.
>
> EFFI is likely to be interested as well, but they haven't had enough
> time to respond yet.
>
> So these can more or less be considered half-confirmed.

Can you estimate, when we will expect a definite answer?

> > other open questions:
> > - Jaldhar beginers tutorial
> >   - what do you need?  (and can we organize it ;)
> >   - Should / Mus we limit the number of attendees?  Do we need some kind
> >     of registration process for that?
> I think this sounds too complicated. It will be hard enough to get
> anyone not attending the conference to come to Debian Day, let alone go
> through a registration process. Sorry guys, but based on what I've seen
> so far I don't think the organizer team is capable of pulling that off.
> No offense intended to anyone.

I want to avoid, that Jaldhar is suddenly confronted with 100 people
trying to share 10 computers in a small lab ;)

> > So, next steps:
> >
> > - Collect abstracts
> > - finalize the schedule
> Abstracts for Debian Day?

I define abstracts as one or more small paragraphs, which tell the
audience a bit about the topic of the talk, to arouse their interest.

> I suggest we agree on a one-line topic with the speakers. As I see it,
> Debian Day is supposed to be a broad event to which more or less any
> computer user can come. The conference itself is another thing.

Yes, if the speakers don't know a small abstract it's okay.

> Do we have different views on the audience for Debian Day? It seems that
> some assume the participants will be quite technical, while others (in
> particular the PR team) have seen a very broad audience with both
> technical and non-technical people.

Yes, I concour.  I try to keep it in mind before doing overkill things :)

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--
http://learn.to/quote/