Re: Debian Day

Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:25 +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > Additionaly, we might have (=3D=3D is requested, but not finished, yet)
> > - Something local about free software and free culture:
> >   Fabian Fagerholm is contacting finish organizations like their CC and
> >   EFFI (similar to EFF) for something hot like software patents
> Creative Commons has expressed interest. The details are open, but if
> their schedule permits it, they will participate. [...]

I ask you to be cautious. I have recently been introduced to
"free culture" and found it is usually dressed up with weasel
words like "reasonable freedom". This means that terms like
the anti-commercial clauses or unmodifiable political adverts
are accepted as free culture by some. I hope that debconf5-team
appreciates why "free culture" should be very modifiable and
not discriminate against commerce.

I think Gavin Baker from freeculture.org told me that well
over half of CC-licensed works are under the "NC" variant.
At present, no CC licence follows the Debian Free Software
Guidelines. Although I am hopeful that the team led by Evan
Prodromu will resolve this, why not ask CC to spend the same
time working on resolving these problems in some way, before
letting them advertise on debian's day?

--
MJ Ray (slef), K.Lynn, England, email via http://mjr.towers.org.uk/
http://people.debian.org/~mjr/