Re: Debian Day

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 13:20 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> I am disappointed that people seem to have misunderstood my intent.
>
> I asked you:
>  1. to be cautious about "free culture"; and
>  2. to consider inviting CC to spend time working towards a CC that
> follows DFSG, as well as any other activity.
>
> I did not suggest that you should straight exclude them, but I
> feel some replies have built and bashed that straw man too much.
> I would like comments on my request, not the imagined.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Here are my replies to your questions 1 and 2
above:

1. You are right: everyone should always keep their eyes open and see
things for what they are. This alone is difficult, but it is even more
difficult to use the same amount of patience and wisdom when deciding on
a proper course of action.

2. Remember, these are not Larry Lessig or anyone else of the U.S. CC
people. They will also not be the lawyers who have crafted the Finnish
version of the CC licenses. They represent a local (Finnish)
perspective. Their day jobs are with the University of Art and Design
Helsinki and they represent a much broader view and larger audience than
what is commonly seen on Debian mailing lists. The only positive things
you can possibly accomplish at Debian Day is to
      * "show the world" and CC-fi that Debian consists of reasonable
        people that are worth including in future developments, and
      * give others a glimpse of the Debian perspective and/or your
        personal perspective.

Also, you speak of keeping a dialogue going and ensuring that Debian
contributors are aware of the differences between Debian and CC. I
agree, but the dialogue is more than just one performance. It spans over
Debian Day, over the whole of DebConf5 and over future conferences. It
will not stop for the foreseeable future. As for awareness, CC-fi will
be only one of two possible guest lecturers. The rest is coming from
inside Debian, and thus there is plenty of room to present our
perspective. I believe there were already offers to speak of
Debian-freeness.

To sum this up: Debian Day is a time for people from inside and outside
Debian to meet and listen to each other. The outside perspective this
year will be Finnish, since the conference is held here.

If you want to negotiate, let's do it the Finnish way: in the sauna ;-)

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>