Re: Debian Day

* MJ Ray (mjr@phonecoop.coop) [050524 17:33]:
> Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:25 +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > > Additionaly, we might have (=3D=3D is requested, but not finished, yet)
> > > - Something local about free software and free culture:
> > >   Fabian Fagerholm is contacting finish organizations like their CC and
> > >   EFFI (similar to EFF) for something hot like software patents
> > Creative Commons has expressed interest. The details are open, but if
> > their schedule permits it, they will participate. [...]
>
> I ask you to be cautious. I have recently been introduced to
> "free culture" and found it is usually dressed up with weasel
> words like "reasonable freedom". This means that terms like
> the anti-commercial clauses or unmodifiable political adverts
> are accepted as free culture by some. I hope that debconf5-team
> appreciates why "free culture" should be very modifiable and
> not discriminate against commerce.
>
> I think Gavin Baker from freeculture.org told me that well
> over half of CC-licensed works are under the "NC" variant.
> At present, no CC licence follows the Debian Free Software
> Guidelines. Although I am hopeful that the team led by Evan
> Prodromu will resolve this, why not ask CC to spend the same
> time working on resolving these problems in some way, before
> letting them advertise on debian's day?

I would like to have debconf as a meetingplace where different
kind of peoples can meet. That means both different Debian
Developers with different backgrounds, religions and opinions and
also that We (as the people driving Debian) can meet and
interact with other players which come from a different
background. I would even (among others) like to meet people that
we have difficulties with. Two years ago We extended an
invitation to RMS, when the DFSG vs GFDL discussion was quite
heated.  (Unfortunatly he perceived us as a "hostile audience"
and declined.) We achived no progress via mail since then on that
front. Perhaps we can do better with the CC people?