Re: Debian Day

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 11:25 +0200, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> > 1.  General Introduction to Debian
> >     in English (Jaldhar) and Finnish?, German? (Alexandar)
>
> Um... I think english and finish as languages would be okay, but I don't
> think there will be many people up there, who only understand german?

I think all depends on the participants. It's clear that it'll most
likely be either English or Finnish, or a mix. Ideally, we would decide
based on the language skills of the actual participants, but I think it
is safe to assume English.

> > 2.  Introduction to Packaging (Lars)
> > 3.  half-day Debian and Linux Beginners tutorial (Jaldhar)
>
> We also have:
> - A "HowTo help Debian without being a Developer (and howto became
>   one..)" talk by me
> - Gunar Wolf with a "What is free Software" talk  (Aigars Mahinovs and
>   Andreas Tille had similar talks, all are experienced speakers, all can
>   do it, but I think Gunars english might the best)
> - Bejamin Mako Hill "a quick overview over custom Debian distributions and Debian derivatives"

These are somewhat technical (except "What is Free Software"). Should we
have two trails during Debian Day, a lightly technical one and a
non-technical one?

> Additionaly, we might have (== is requested, but not finished, yet)
>
> - Something local about free software and free culture:
>   Fabian Fagerholm is contacting finish organizations like their CC and
>   EFFI (similar to EFF) for something hot like software patents

Creative Commons has expressed interest. The details are open, but if
their schedule permits it, they will participate.

EFFI is likely to be interested as well, but they haven't had enough
time to respond yet.

So these can more or less be considered half-confirmed.

> Do you PR guys can start with that?  Since all that seems left to me,
> seems to be:
>
> other open questions:
> - Jaldhar beginers tutorial
>   - what do you need?  (and can we organize it ;)
>   - Should / Mus we limit the number of attendees?  Do we need some kind
>     of registration process for that?

I think this sounds too complicated. It will be hard enough to get
anyone not attending the conference to come to Debian Day, let alone go
through a registration process. Sorry guys, but based on what I've seen
so far I don't think the organizer team is capable of pulling that off.
No offense intended to anyone.

> So, next steps:
>
> - Collect abstracts
> - finalize the schedule

Abstracts for Debian Day? That is not likely to happen with the local
speakers. I suggest we agree on a one-line topic with the speakers. As I
see it, Debian Day is supposed to be a broad event to which more or less
any computer user can come. The conference itself is another thing.

Do we have different views on the audience for Debian Day? It seems that
some assume the participants will be quite technical, while others (in
particular the PR team) have seen a very broad audience with both
technical and non-technical people.

--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>