Re: no schedules til the day before ?

On 2005-06-09 18:43:44 +0200, Andreas Schuldei said:

> So this is no reason to not have a on-the-fly generated schedule.
> do you have others?

Psychological reasons.

There is no f***ing way I am going to be able to deliver the best talk I
can do if I have to wait to see whether my name appears on Tomorrow's
Schedule(tm) every day (or evening). I will be scared and nervous, unable to
enjoy the conference and unable to think of good points and ideas for my
talk (which I under normal circumstances would get all the time).

This is not about not preparing for the talk until last second (which I
won't do - the talk will of course be finished well before I arrive in
Finland, even though I will probably adjust and edit it while I'm
there), it's about respect for the speakers and the audience who may
want to plan their stay a little bit, and it's about having a little bit
of control over the stay - there are people who will get stressed,
upset and even sick from not knowing when they are going to give their
talk well before.

(Maybe a personality test should have been part of the selection process,
to make sure you only get speakers who tolerate a high degree of
uncertainty and instability, and leave the others at home.)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.