Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

> Actually that info is in the Linux file standard, which has been
> available for some years. There are some distributions which don't
> follow that, all I can say is "there is a standard."

Absolutely. Adhering to the standard should be primary concern, the rest
is secondary.

> cdrtools should use /usr/include/linux unless
> told otherwise.

Yes

> Odd distributions are a fact of life

I maintain that it's the user's responsibility to supply correct
headers for the kernel the binary *is being compiled for*. As said
before, who said I'm compiling for the running kernel? Users who don't
have the clue for this should either use a distro which works, or a
pre-compiled binary. Apps should be able to be told where those headers
are. Apps saying "the headers must be in /usr/src/include" aren't all
that smart, but it's usable.

I return, this also means that software maintainers can't expect
everyone to be able to compile the latest alpha^5 version. Saying "come
back once you've compiled and tried this alpha^5" is unrealistic.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.