Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:06:46AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> True -- *but*, it must be pointed out that this is historic!
> In a modern GNU/Linux distribution, /usr/include/linux should
> *not* be a symlink to anything at all.  It should be a plain
> directory containing the kernel header files with which the
> GNU libc was built.

If this is true, I must respectfully point out that the real
problem is libc6. I upgraded my system to libc6 by hand, and
I *never* saw any advice (or "instruction" should be a better
word) to make /usr/include/linux a real directory, nor any
advice to keep the libc6-compile-time kernel header files
anywhere, nor any advice where to put the current kernel header
files.

If such a drastic change in convention had taken place and
I have never read about it when I did my upgrade (which was
not very long ago -- I put off upgrading to libc6 until very
recently, and I did google for advice for fear of breaking my
system), then I have to agree with Joerg that Linux is being
very inconsistent, but I will say that the greatest problem is
not in the kernel, but in libc6.