Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

>From: csj@gmx.co.uk

>On 23. January 2004 at 5:40PM +0100,
>Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>>
>> Please don't comment things you obviously don't really understand.
>>
>> 1) The include files on /usr/src/linux have been absolutely
>> needed for a long time to be able to compile at all.

>I don't have /usr/src/linux and I'm able to build cdrtools from
>source.  What am I missing (Debian)?

You miss that in former times most Linux distributions in most cases did
not include the needed include files at all in case the Linux
kernel sources have not been installed at /usr/src/linux.
The "files" in /usr/include/sys/ have been sysmlinks pointing to /usr/src/linux.

Newer Linux systems tend to have real files in /usr/include.

Some systems have neither symlinks nor files in /usr/include/sys.

This is completely chaotic and the setup for Linux in the makefile system
tries to do its best from this desaster.....

If you have /usr/src/linux, then there is a > 99% chance that it is the source
for the surrently running kernel. People who deviate from this rule need to know
what they are doing.....

The main problem with Linux is a result of the fact that a lot of people
believe that it is possible  to replace the Kernel with a different version
without creating problems with the interfaces to the applications.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling