Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

> > The burner software can open exclusive - see man open.
>
> You mean O_EXCL? That doesn't seem to make sense?

You must be referring to the fact that O_EXCL is essentially undefined
without O_CREAT. It's absolutely true, but it doesn't mean that it's not
passed down to kernel, most notably when you open a device. And as long
as it's passed down, the device driver is free to interpret it. The
latter means that there is no guaranteed/specified common meaning for
O_EXCL flag and it might and does vary from implementation to
implementation. E.g. Linux cdrom doesn't pay any attention to O_EXCL.
Solaris sd driver respects it, but not the vol driver (the one I called
"bypass" device in my previous post in this thread). A.