Re: [Cdrecord-developers] Cdrtools-2.01a25: Patch to make cdrtools 2.01a25 Linux compatible

I have a very high respect for Joerg. But please let me comment
a little on this.

Back "in the former times" (I started using GNU/Linux back
when the only distros were SLS and Slackware), apps assumed
that the kernel header files are in a "linux" directory in the
system include path (the /usr/include/linux symlink, unless the
user has a very strange setup). They need not assume there is
anything in /usr/src/linux, though /usr/include/linux is likely
a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux. And I have never
heard of anyone hard-coding /usr/src/sys (nor have I heard of
such a directory at all) in their makefiles.

I have never encountered any app that has such an elaborate
setup to detect where the kernel include files are; I would tend
to say that such elaborate setup is unnecessary. If the system
in question is so broken as to not make the kernel include
files accessible via a simple #include <linux/some-file.h>, it
will have problems compiling all kernel-dependent software, not
just cdrtools: Systems that are broken to such an extent do
not deserve to be supported by an elaborate makefile system; a
simple FAQ entry would suffice.