Re: Automounters - more info wanted (was Re: Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type)

> > >What I meant was those autothingies should keep their hands off
> > > a disk while a burn process is happening. Dunno whether it's
> > > possible to detect this, but isn't that the way it should be?
> >
> > The burner software can open exclusive - see man open.

Yes, even better if the burning software can get access to the device in
such a way that accesses from other processes result in "in use - go
away".

> You mean O_EXCL? That doesn't seem to make sense?

       O_EXCL When  used with O_CREAT, if the file already exists
              it is an error and the open will fail.

My man page doesn't mention anything about E_EXCL when used without
O_CREAT, but if the behaviour is return success only when the device
isn't in use (r or w elsewhere) and to prevent subsequent processes
from opening even read-only, then that looks like the solution. Does
the fact that growisofs/cdrecord don't seem to obtain exclusive access
to the device mean doing exactly that isn't actually possible, or
prevented otherwise?

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.