Re: Hebrew Translation for Debian About Page

Gerfried Fuchs <rhonda@deb.at> wrote: [...]
>  Erm, no, it might be common style, but it's not "OK". I'm totally with
> Oz here, it's a kind of laziness to not use a neutral form instead when
> possible - and many females don't feel addressed, even if they are not
> even directly aware of it.  That was one of the more major topics that
> debian-women started off with, having things primarily addressing males
> only doesn't help getting more females interested, lest involved. There
> were long threads both on here and also on debian-l10n-german about it.

When reasonably possible, phrase things in such a way to avoid
assuming gender, or switch some examples, but don't assume that the
Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is true or use it to justify the sort of
language errors that certain debian-women members advocate in English.

Compare: http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/01/msg00360.html

Regards,
--
MJR/slef