Re: Hebrew Translation for Debian About Page

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:19:37AM +0300, Oz Nahum wrote:
> I have uploaded my hebrew translation my server:
>
> http://www.tabula0rasa.org/debianabout/about.html

Looks good!

> >I'm only Finnish translation coordinator, but I've studied
> > >Hebrew a bit.

He, you have to write this from the beginning of such a thread :-)

> My guide lines for creating a nice hebrew translation are to avoid using a
> directive form of a male. In hebrew it very common, but also very
> shovinistic to write manual like this. And many times you see apoplogies
> such as:
> This manual is writen in male form, but speaks to all species.

That's common in many languages.

> I think this is just laziness. With a little effort one can avoid this, and
> write in better and higher hebrew form using the plural form, similar to the
> German 'Sie' form which avoids the sex issue.

"Sie" (you) can only be used if the reader is addressed directly.
Nevertheless many words describing persons (such as vocation names)
exist only in a male form. Also in sentences such as "Dear user"
("Hallo Benutzer") male dominates. That's OK, as it is common style.

> So, now I will set forward to create an appropriate wml file, but before I
> start maybe some one can offer a script that can help with this job ?

You don't need a script. Just compare about.en.html with
english/intro/about.wml from CVS and you will notice that both are
indentical except header and footer. So just open your favorite diff
program (such as kompare, mgdiff, tkdiff, vimdiff, ...) look at the
changes and merge all different stuff into your existing translation.
I assume you will not need more than 3 minutes for it. It's fairly
simple.

For the mirror country list I will indeed try to automate this as these
are many short strings which we keep in PO files (german/po/*.po).

PS: Are you subscribed to this list? I suggest this. Otherwise please
ask for adding you to CC:

Jens