Re: Hebrew Translation for Debian About Page

Am Dienstag, den 17.06.2008, 10:24 +0200 schrieb Jens Seidel:
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 09:19:37AM +0300, Oz Nahum wrote:
> > I think this is just laziness. With a little effort one can avoid this, and
> > write in better and higher hebrew form using the plural form, similar to the
> > German 'Sie' form which avoids the sex issue.
>
> "Sie" (you) can only be used if the reader is addressed directly.
> Nevertheless many words describing persons (such as vocation names)
> exist only in a male form. Also in sentences such as "Dear user"
> ("Hallo Benutzer") male dominates. That's OK, as it is common style.

 Erm, no, it might be common style, but it's not "OK". I'm totally with
Oz here, it's a kind of laziness to not use a neutral form instead when
possible - and many females don't feel addressed, even if they are not
even directly aware of it. That was one of the more major topics that
debian-women started off with, having things primarily addressing males
only doesn't help getting more females interested, lest involved. There
were long threads both on here and also on debian-l10n-german about it.

 So Oz, if you are able to avoid sex issues within the hebrew language,
pretty please do so.

 So long,
Rhonda