Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 09:39:55AM +0200, Itay wrote:
> I don't remember editing /etc/mailname by hand; 'dpkg -S' says it's
> not owned by any debian package.
> So how this file gets its content?

It was created when you installed exim, and would be changed when
running dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config. The specific question which
changes /etc/mailname is:

"Mail Server configuration
  The 'mail name' is the domain name used to 'qualify' mail addresses
  without a domain name.

  This name will also be used by other programs. It should be the
  single,
  fully qualified domain name (FQDN).

  Thus, if a mail address on the local host is foo@example.org, the
  correct value for this option would be example.org.

  This name won't appear on From: lines of outgoing messages if
  rewriting
  is enabled.

  System mail name:"

HTH