Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

On Tue, 2013-11-12 at 21:36 +0100, Alois Mahdal wrote:
> 1.8GHz dual core and 4G RAM
> attempting Win XP in VBox for even the most simple
> tasks was a royal PITA.

Then something is fishy.

> (Also one reason to keep the Win in the dual-boot manner is that
> I have a valid OEM license there, which I believe cannot be
> migrated to VM.)

I'm against software piracy, but in this case an exception IMO is ok,
since the industry and society not seldom force us to use a proprietary
OS.

In Germany we have Linux software to e.g. read the ID card, but it
doesn't work, even not for the Linux distros it's provided by the
government. The source code seems to be closed.

The tax card is replaced by something called ELSTER (electronic tax
declaration, named like a thievish bird).

Use https://www.elster.de/elster_soft_nw.php to find Linux software that
has the ELSTER interface, by checking all available forms, and you'll
get

"Verfügbare Freeware für Linux

Es wurden leider keine Ergebnisse im Bereich Freeware für Linux
gefunden.

Produkte kommerzieller Anbieter für Linux

Es wurden leider keine Ergebnisse im Bereich Kommerzielle Programme für
Linux gefunden."

shortened translated: "No FLOSS and no proprietary software available."