Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Itay wrote:

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Gregory Nowak wrote:

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 01:15:26PM +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
> > IP address or host name of the outgoing smarthost
> > => "mail.messagingengine.com::NNN".
>
> Should be a single colon, not double. For example,
mail.example.net:587

No, this is incorrect. When you run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config,
it
says:

[snip]

So, the OP should have mail.messagingengine.com::587 in the exim4
config. In /etc/exim4/passwd.client, the OP should have something
like:

mail.messagingengine.com:username:clear_text_password

Greg

Will try that and report back to the list.

I made the changes that Greg has recommended.

After running:

# update-exim4.conf
# invoke-rc.d exim4 restart
Stopping MTA for restart: exim4_listener.
Restarting MTA: exim4.
# exim4 -v -qff
LOG: queue_run MAIN
  Start queue run: pid=21878 -qff
LOG: queue_run MAIN
  End queue run: pid=21878 -qff
# echo This is a test message. | exim -v -i root

Interesting things have happened:

1) I got in my public inbox (!) a warning from my local system that a test message I sent on Saturday (48 hrs ago) was not delivered for 24 hours. The warning was issued yesterday.

2) At the same time the said test message landed in my public inbox.

3) The last command I isssued:
# echo This is a test message. | exim -v -i root
is still hanging.
This was the behavior I was seeing yesterday as well.

Shooting in the dark:

A) It looks like a problem with a queue or similar?

B) The harddrive of the sending machine has began failing.
(See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/11/msg00177.html)
I will replace it, of course.
But could there be a relation to the present problem?

Thanks,
Itay