Re: [OT?] What's wrong with my exim4 configuration?

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013, Gregory Nowak wrote:

By mistake I sent my reply directly to the responder (sorry Greg) and not to the list. Here is a copy:

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 01:15:26PM +0000, Chris Davies wrote:
> > IP address or host name of the outgoing smarthost
> > => "mail.messagingengine.com::NNN".
>
> Should be a single colon, not double. For example,
mail.example.net:587

No, this is incorrect. When you run dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config,
it
says:

[snip]

I will restore the double colon.
[I put it there based on the docs, but did not remember the reference; it was late at night, so I did not question the responder. I simply thought I missed something... My bad.]

I can also confirm this is correct, since I am using two colons here
to send to a smarthost on 587.

> If you're using 486 (SMTP/SSL) you may need to tweak the TLS
entries in
> the configuration file.

Where are you getting tcp 486 as SMTP/SSL from? On my system,
/etc/services lists:

"ssmtp           465/tcp         smtps           # SMTP over SSL"

There is no mention of 486 either tcp or udp in my
/etc/services. Besides that, 465 is deprecated. The port that should
be used for smarthosts these days is tcp 587, and no ISP has a right
to block that. In fact:

I was using 465 because that's how my email client (alpine) uses the provider's SMTP. It was configured some years ago, and I was not aware that a change is required.

It is strange to me, though, that alpine would be able to use port 465, while exim4 would not?

"$ telnet mail.messagingengine.com 587
Trying 66.111.4.52...
Connected to mail.messagingengine.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.messagingengine.com ESMTP ready
quit
221 2.0.0 Bye
Connection closed by foreign host."

So, the OP should have mail.messagingengine.com::587 in the exim4
config. In /etc/exim4/passwd.client, the OP should have something
like:

mail.messagingengine.com:username:clear_text_password

Greg

Will try that and report back to the list.

Many thanks,
Itay