Re: who uses dual boot? [was: How to start using a free OS]

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:32:55 -0500
Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >> I agree :)

It is painful but I can't say it's not true.  However, it might
change in the future, and given FLOSS licensing principles,
(mostly the FL part), future is on our side.

> That's a very interesting point, but I wonder if it's true.
> There are real-world reasons to run both windows on linux on
> the same machine (personal example: running Linux on my
> laptop for development and demonstrations; running Windows
> for office applications).

In my case, it's:

*   Debian for browsing, occasional gaming (mostly Flash games,
    Indie games, old ones in DosBox or even some native Linux
    games), browsing, movies, music, programming, sometimes
    a little vector or raster graphics,

*   Windows for occasional gaming (titles too big for DosBox)
    or (very scarcely, always hoping for no more) working with
    hardware like Nokia phones and TomTom GPS).

> But, having said that, when one really uses two operating
> systems on the same machine, I expect it's more common to run
> one under virtualization, so you can run both at the same
> time - dual booting is a real pain if one is really USING
> both operating systems.

I have a 5 year old ThinkPad R500 with 1.8GHz dual core and
4G RAM, and while the setup is still really enough for most of
what I do, attempting Win XP in VBox for even the most simple
tasks was a royal PITA.  An I'm not fan of buying new hardware
every 2 years just because it allows for more convenient
scenario.

(Also one reason to keep the Win in the dual-boot manner is that
I have a valid OEM license there, which I believe cannot be
migrated to VM.)

So given that most of people who have hardware do not have
later than that and with hardware virtualization support in
CPU, I would not expect that to be the most common case.

Thanks,
aL.
--
Alois Mahdal