Re: Preparing -8

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:48:36AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> > IIRC, you generally want to use invoke-rc.d because it is cognizant of
> > runlevel policy (i.e., start service $FOO in runlevel 3 but not runlevel
> > 2, and so forth).
>
> That's true of maintainer scripts, but not when a human is driving the
> machine and knows that they definitely want xdm started or stopped right
> now.
>
> For example, I have X installed inside a chroot. This chroot has a local
> policy-rc.d that prohibits any daemons being started, because I don't
> want port conflicts with systems outside the chroot to occur when I
> install or upgrade a package. So if I want to manually start xdm or some
> other daemon, invoke-rc.d is useless to me.
>
> Another example: I may be in single user mode, and want to start bind,
> so I can do some network administration. invoke-rc.d's default policy
> would not let it start. This kind of thing makes invoke-rc.d a poor
> choice of software for an admin who wants the compter to do what he
> tells it to do. It's name is also longer to type. ;-)

Well, the scope of this discussion is a pair of manpages, xdm.options(5)
and xfs.options(5).

Do you object to me documenting invoke-rc.d there instead of
/etc/init.d?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Never attribute to human stupidity
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     that which can be adequately