Re: Preparing -8

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:07:14AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > People shouldn't run "/etc/init.d/$SCRIPT" anymore; they should use
> > "invoke-rc.d $SCRIPT" instead.
> >
> > There have been many threads on -devel about this.
>
> if they were inside flamewars than i didn't read it for sure ;)

IIRC, you generally want to use invoke-rc.d because it is cognizant of
runlevel policy (i.e., start service $FOO in runlevel 3 but not runlevel
2, and so forth).

> I fully agree that we can simply avoid any commit after 2004-02-13 and we
> can consider safe everything before, for this release. If the s**t hits
> the fan we will revert the changes.. too bad but hey.., it's life.

I want to have a look anyway, but you're right -- if something slips
through the cracks we can revert it.

> > If you have any more questions or concerns about the pending changes,
> > please let me know.  Otherwise, if I have addressed your questions
> > satisfactorily, give me the green light and I'll do the merge onto
> > branches/4.3.0/sid.
>
> Apollo 13 this is Houston: you are ready to go!

Apollo 13?  Are you planning to strand me in orbit around the moon?  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     That's the saving grace of humor:
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     if you fail, no one is laughing at