Preparing -8

Hi XSF,
	it is time to get ready to release -8. I have been working
yesterday reviewing all the svn changes (from 1170 to 1284) that have
been basically done in trunk since -7 was released.

I have only a few changes that i am not fully convinced about and that i
would like to discuss with the team. From debian/changelog:

  * If defoma-app and fontconfig's defoma script are available, invoke
    "defoma-app update fontconfig" on package configuration and removal;
    otherwise, use fc-cache as before.  (Closes: #238797)

This sounds a bit of a workaround since the problem might be located
somewhere else. Did i miss something from the bug report or do we want to
prevent the problem in advance?

  * Implement IsolateDevice and SingleCard layout options for XF86Config, and
    -isolateDevice command-line flag for XFree86 X server.  Useful for
    multi-card setups where different X servers run on each card (thanks,
    Andreas Schuldei).  (Closes: #207543)

This looks a bit dangerous to my eyes. I am not 100% happy to include it
but it for sure needs a more global roll out. I would say it goes in for
-8, but it will fly away at the first problem related to it and if Andreas
cannot fix it in a reasonable amount of time. (it would be the only
dangerous bit in this release)

  * Update xdm.options(5) and xfs.options(5) manual pages to instruct the user
    to use the invoke-rc.d command instead of invoking packages' init scripts
    directly.

Is there any specific motivation for this change? Just curious, I don't
disagree.

  * Fix problem with DVI displays connected to ATI Radeon 9200 cards not
    initializing properly every other time the X server is started (patch by
    Hui Yu of ATI, from XFree86 Bugzilla #673).  (Closes: #243575)

Ok. Are we licence safe? I didn't see any note about it.

>From the TODO list, the following fixes should be included/done for -8 in
order of priority:

* #242865: remove (unused) sourceless binary exectables from source tree

* #239991: Fix SEGV in xc/lib/X11/imDefIc.c:_XimRegisterKeyPressFilter().

* #147898: xlibs: select() hangs in XDrawString16() when using TrueType with

* #222804: xlibs: [xkb] proposed symbol mapping for Compaq Evo

* #241034: xlibs: Meta not working and AltGr cancels Compose with

and all of them have patches/fixes ready but included in trunk.

Regards,
Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.