Re: A Radeon and X question, probably not Debian specific

Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> writes:

> Let me clarify, you're seeing two separate problems: you only get
> software rendering with xscreensaver due to a strange DRI bug. The
> slowness with direct rendering could be a hardware quirk.

Ahh, I was misunderstanding you.  Yes, this is exactly what is going
on; fullscreen xscreensaver hacks run with software rendering.  When I
manually run /usr/lib/xscreensaver/gears -fps -delay 0 -root it does
use hardware rendering, and gets about 25fps.  When xscreensaver runs
the same command software rendering is used.

If any changes get made to the DRI layer that might fix this bug, I
can try them out.  Otherwise I won't worry about it too much.