Re: A Radeon and X question, probably not Debian specific

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 20:39, Jeff Lessem wrote:
> "Charl P. Botha" <c.p.botha@its.tudelft.nl> writes:
>
> > I had a look at your X output and all seems fine.  How many FPS does
> > glxgears yield?  You have to run it for at least 5 seconds before it outputs
> > something to stdout.
>
> glxgears, in its default small size is about 500 fps, expanding the
> window to full screen gets me 25 fps.  Xscreensaver's gears hack gets
> about 5 fps running full screen.

The size of the latter's window doesn't seem to impact the framerate here,
so that sounds like software rendering.

> On the advice of Michel Dänzer (thanks!) I added the debian dri-trunk
> stuff, and got that working easily enough with the 1.4.0 20020714
> Radeon drm driver, but it didn't make any difference.  Everything
> appears to be working correctly, but gl stuff is very slow.  The only
> error I get is [drm:radeon_freelist_get] *ERROR* returning NULL!
> output from the drm driver.

That on the other hand only appears with direct rendering...

Does running a client with LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose give any more interesting
info as to whether you're actually using direct rendering?