Re: xserver-xfree86 4.0.2-1 and S3 ViRGE/MX problems

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 11:49:49AM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> I've also put up another test version at
> http://www.user1.netcarrier.com/~kbrosius/virge.html.  Try it without
> the pci_burst option if you still have trouble.  Let me know if anything
> changes.

I've been following this thread with great interest, as the upgrade
from "testing" to "unstable" sort of broke X on my Tecra laptop, which
uses the S3 Virge MX+ chipset.  X works OK on this machine, but my
virtual consoles are thrashed and only rebooting seems to fix them.  I
just grabbed and tried out the s3virge_drv.402+_161.gz and it works
just the same as the stock driver from the current .deb.

I also tried the vesa driver and it works correctly, so I think that
the s3virge driver just doesn't know how to restore my display when I
pop out of X, either by exiting or by using Ctrl-Alt-Fn.  The vesa
driver either doesn't screw up the display (and the Driver line is the
only change I'm making in my XF86Config-4) or it knows how to restore
it properly.