Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:00:04AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 07:59:03AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > I think what you propose is a good solution. I suppose 4.0.1 will be woody's
> > primary X server, will it not ?
>
> I expect it to be widely used, especially by people with recent hardware.
>
> Some of the 3.x series X servers will continue to be provided to support
> hardware that 4.0 doesn't yet.  The package names and filenames names do
> not overlap, so /etc/X11/Xserver will continue to be used as we have for
> years.  The 3.x servers should work fine with the 4.x series clients and
> libraries, though of course those servers are missing the features that are
> receiving so much attention in 4.0.  That will include the enhanced font
> support; users of 3.x server may want to look into using the 4.x version of
> xfs.
Ok, I am not an xfree86 developer, I have to ask the m68k question. AFAIK
the xfree drivers for m68k are by far not ready, or only a handful yet. With
this we (m68k) could install xfree4.0 libraries and run the 3.3.6 servers?

Fine, but what if the 4.0 libraries can not be built on m68k (I would not
wonder if), will the 3.3.6 libaries be still around for us?

Will the complete packages of 3.3.6 and 4.0+ exist in parallel, for those
with m68k and other not so recent hardware (like my mach64)? Might not be
necessary, but I have a better feeling, if I ran all packages from one
version.

Sorry if you answered that allready in your first message, but with my
historic view, I did not see a quick answer to that.

Christian