Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:59:11AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:00:04AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 07:59:03AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > > I think what you propose is a good solution. I suppose 4.0.1 will be woody's
> > > primary X server, will it not ?
> >
> > I expect it to be widely used, especially by people with recent hardware.
> >
> > Some of the 3.x series X servers will continue to be provided to support
> > hardware that 4.0 doesn't yet.  The package names and filenames names do
> > not overlap, so /etc/X11/Xserver will continue to be used as we have for
> > years.  The 3.x servers should work fine with the 4.x series clients and
> > libraries, though of course those servers are missing the features that are
> > receiving so much attention in 4.0.  That will include the enhanced font
> > support; users of 3.x server may want to look into using the 4.x version of
> > xfs.
> Ok, I am not an xfree86 developer, I have to ask the m68k question. AFAIK
> the xfree drivers for m68k are by far not ready, or only a handful yet. With
> this we (m68k) could install xfree4.0 libraries and run the 3.3.6 servers?

I remember running XF4 on top of amifb way back in the 3.9.16 days, i suppose
this will work nicely on m68k also, if you can build the kernel.

> Fine, but what if the 4.0 libraries can not be built on m68k (I would not
> wonder if), will the 3.3.6 libaries be still around for us?

Did you try it ?

best guess would be to try it out, and report any problem so they can get
fixed. I would do it but have no space on my apus box for a m68k system. maybe
i will erase my apus system after the potato release and let the box build XF4
for me.

How long do you think i would need to build XF4 on a 25MHz 68040 ?

> Will the complete packages of 3.3.6 and 4.0+ exist in parallel, for those
> with m68k and other not so recent hardware (like my mach64)? Might not be

mach64 should be supported under XF4, or will soonely, i think, anyway, you
could always run the fbdev Xserver without accels.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER