Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 03:00:04AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 07:59:03AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > I think what you propose is a good solution. I suppose 4.0.1 will be woody's
> > primary X server, will it not ?
>
> I expect it to be widely used, especially by people with recent hardware.
>
> Some of the 3.x series X servers will continue to be provided to support
> hardware that 4.0 doesn't yet.  The package names and filenames names do
> not overlap, so /etc/X11/Xserver will continue to be used as we have for
> years.  The 3.x servers should work fine with the 4.x series clients and
> libraries, though of course those servers are missing the features that are
> receiving so much attention in 4.0.  That will include the enhanced font
> support; users of 3.x server may want to look into using the 4.x version of
> xfs.

Ok, about the X server, but will we maintain two sets of libraries also, or go
with the 4.0.1 ones ?

Also how did you solve the XF86Config conflict ? since 4.x a,d 3.x XF86Config
files are not compatible.

> > or else each package will have to be compiled differently for XF3.3.6 and
> > XF4.0.1.
>
> Uh, as an XFree86 developer I hope you'd recall that one doesn't compile X
> clients against X servers.  One compiles clients against the X libraries.
> The xlib6g package will be provided by the XFree86 4.x source packages.
> Furthermore, the wire protocol itself has not changed (it's still X Version
> 11), so communications between the clients and servers will not change.

Sure, ... bad wording perhaps, but i did think more about changing app-default
location and other similar stuff, since in the long run, the apps should
install it in the new location, you will have to fix the 3.3.6 server to use
the new location,that is the 3.3.6 xfree-common should do the same trick as
the 4.0.1 one ?

> Two shared libraries increased their version numbers with XFree86 4.0;
>   libXext (a bundle of common protocol extensions), which moved from 6.3 to
>   6.4; this is part and parcel of upstream's transition to X11R6.4 from
>   X11R6.3.
>   libXaw is now available in two versions; 6.1, which is the same version
>   as is presently available, and also a new 7.0 version which was written
>   by one of the XFree86 developers and, among other things, has a greatly
>   improved text widget, and is themeable.  The Athena widget library has,
>   consequently, been split out of the xlib6g package.

I thought 4.0.1 moved to X11R6.4, did only 1 library change version number
when going from X11R6.3 to X11R6.4 ?

> In any case, I reiterate that the variety of available servers should have
> little or no impact on the clients.  I do not know what has changed in
> libXext, which of course has a server-side implementation, but the minor
> version number increase does not imply to me an incompatible change.  If
> I'm wrong, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I confirm, i run most X clients on a hand installed 4.0.1+ server, without
major problems. Like said the only problems encountered where with the xterm
color stuff when i didn't do a full XF4 install and some keymap problems (well
surely because default 4.x XF86Config came with a japanese keyboard
configuration, and i didn't spot it :((()

> > Also, please remeber to have lintian check about app-default stuff when you
> > release the XF4 packages.
>
> Well, I don't maintain lintian, so I can only ask for such a thing.

I know that, just fill the bug against lintian. but in my experience this kind
of things take time, but mayeb since X is a major package, it will get
included quicker.

> > Best way to make all developper of package aware of the problem (well
> > sure you could fill bugs to all package using app-defaults also, with a
> > nice bug reporting script doing the job) ...
>
> I'll see what develops.

:)))

BTW, ...

where can i get your brand new XF4 packages ? i would like to download them
tommorow, build and try them out in my offline home box, and then report back
to you about it.

Friendly,

Svne LUTHER