Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 10:59:11AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
> Ok, I am not an xfree86 developer, I have to ask the m68k question. AFAIK
> the xfree drivers for m68k are by far not ready, or only a handful yet. With
> this we (m68k) could install xfree4.0 libraries and run the 3.3.6 servers?

Yes.

> Fine, but what if the 4.0 libraries can not be built on m68k (I would not
> wonder if), will the 3.3.6 libaries be still around for us?

No, but if they don't build on Amiga I'm going to have to bust ass to port
them.  Guess it will be time to phone up this company I have in mind and
plead for an Amiga 4000T.

> Will the complete packages of 3.3.6 and 4.0+ exist in parallel, for those
> with m68k and other not so recent hardware (like my mach64)? Might not be
> necessary, but I have a better feeling, if I ran all packages from one
> version.

Well, at present I'm not planning to do this.  Full 3.3.6 packages will of
course exist in potato, however.

Note that I am delegating maintainership of XFree86 3.x to Stephen R. Gore,
who was masochistic enough to volunteer for this task.

> Sorry if you answered that allready in your first message, but with my
> historic view, I did not see a quick answer to that.

I didn't answer it in my initial message in this thread, but it has been
talked about before.  A few weeks ago, though, maybe.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    A committee is a life form with six or
Debian GNU/Linux                |    more legs and no brain.