Re: XFree86 4.0.1 and app-defaults

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 07:59:03AM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> I think what you propose is a good solution. I suppose 4.0.1 will be woody's
> primary X server, will it not ?

I expect it to be widely used, especially by people with recent hardware.

Some of the 3.x series X servers will continue to be provided to support
hardware that 4.0 doesn't yet.  The package names and filenames names do
not overlap, so /etc/X11/Xserver will continue to be used as we have for
years.  The 3.x servers should work fine with the 4.x series clients and
libraries, though of course those servers are missing the features that are
receiving so much attention in 4.0.  That will include the enhanced font
support; users of 3.x server may want to look into using the 4.x version of
xfs.

> or else each package will have to be compiled differently for XF3.3.6 and
> XF4.0.1.

Uh, as an XFree86 developer I hope you'd recall that one doesn't compile X
clients against X servers.  One compiles clients against the X libraries.
The xlib6g package will be provided by the XFree86 4.x source packages.
Furthermore, the wire protocol itself has not changed (it's still X Version
11), so communications between the clients and servers will not change.

Two shared libraries increased their version numbers with XFree86 4.0;
  libXext (a bundle of common protocol extensions), which moved from 6.3 to
  6.4; this is part and parcel of upstream's transition to X11R6.4 from
  X11R6.3.
  libXaw is now available in two versions; 6.1, which is the same version
  as is presently available, and also a new 7.0 version which was written
  by one of the XFree86 developers and, among other things, has a greatly
  improved text widget, and is themeable.  The Athena widget library has,
  consequently, been split out of the xlib6g package.

In any case, I reiterate that the variety of available servers should have
little or no impact on the clients.  I do not know what has changed in
libXext, which of course has a server-side implementation, but the minor
version number increase does not imply to me an incompatible change.  If
I'm wrong, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

> Also, please remeber to have lintian check about app-default stuff when you
> release the XF4 packages.

Well, I don't maintain lintian, so I can only ask for such a thing.

> Best way to make all developper of package aware of the problem (well
> sure you could fill bugs to all package using app-defaults also, with a
> nice bug reporting script doing the job) ...

I'll see what develops.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |     If a man ate a pound of pasta and a
Debian GNU/Linux                |     pound of antipasto, would they cancel