Re: Just English

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 01:14:19AM +0200, Jutta Wrage wrote:
> That is currently not possible.

It certainly is, without any changes to the HTML etc., just some Apache
reconfiguration! However, we would need to upgrade www.debian.org to Apache
2.0.

Additionally, the mirrors would need to support this scheme as well. Making
them change their configuration would be a slow process, but I don't think
that this is a problem - most users just seem to use the main website
anyway. Also, even if some mirrors never switch, the main site can just
offer this functionality as an extra feature.

Cheers,

  Richard

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 12:39:51PM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
> Still, we really *should* allow for users to switch to another language
> without reconfiguring their browser. What if I usually want English, but
> prefer German just for debian.org?
>
> The great thing is that supporting this would be very easy: Upgrade
> www.debian.org to Apache 2.0, write a small script which sets a language
> cookie, then use this Apache directive:
>
> SetEnvIf Cookie "language=en" prefer-language=en
>
> ...etc for all languages.

As of Apache 2.0.51 you can even write this to deal with all lanuages with
just one configuration directive like:

SetEnvIf Cookie "language=(.*)" prefer-language=$1

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯