Re: resource availability and (naive) ideas

On 28/08/10 11:35 AM, Erinn Clark wrote:
> * Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> [2010:08:26 14:07 +0200]:
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 07:49:31AM +0100, Lesley Binks wrote:
>>> I believe there is a mentoring address at d.o for Debian Women.
>>> More info on that at http://women.debian.org/mentoring/
>>
>> I've read that page, but there is no @d.o address used for that. Note
>> that my point is not stating that the current one is not good, quite the
>> contrary, I'm just trying to figure out which kind of "blessing" d-w
>> activities might benefit from. I'm very well aware it's a minor
>> contribution, but I'm for pursuing all avenues :)
>
> I talked to Peter Palfrader about this a while ago (last year sometime?)
> and he was happy to set up a forward for us, but the problem was that it
> could only be used for people who were Debian developers.
>
> I'm not sure it's a major concern anyway -- people are interested in
> being mentees and mentors, but nobody really seems interested in
> actually running the program. If someone steps up, we can revisit the
> technical difficulties in adding non-DDs to an email alias, otherwise we
> need to treat the mentoring program like it doesn't exist.

<Helen takes a deep breath>

OK, it's time I got my act together.  I'll run the mentoring program again, if
you like and if nobody else steps up to do it.  I am absolutely happy for
someone else to step up to do it, though.

I can't do anything at all for a week from now, my existing commitments are
simply too great.  Also I am waaay, embarassingly out of touch with all kinds of
technical things - I haven't done much of anything technical in a couple of
years now (parenthood and study have gotten in the way of that), so I might need
advice on that.  But the looking after mentors and stuff is the kind of thing
I'm good at, so, if you like, I'll find the time to do it and keep an eye on it.
 If I find I can't make the time I'll let you all know, but I think I can commit
to at least 6 months, at the level of effort I believe this thing to be.

If that's acceptable, I guess I need to talk to Erinn about the current status,
and if someone has the time to collate current mentor/mentee lists for me,
especially anything said on irc (I am not currently on irc often, nor will I be
for the forseeable future), that would be great.

I think that if it's practical, having a debian email address for the mentoring
program will add to its percieved "status", which might mean people are more
willing to give it a go.

Is there any other system in debian that allows non developers to access or use
a "group" @debian.org address, for situations like these?  What about
debian-maintainers?  Might be worth considering, though of course there would be
trust issues with that kind of thing, I guess.

Helen