Re: resource availability and (naive) ideas

On 25 August 2010 18:15, Stefano Zacchiroli <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> [ please Cc:-me if you reply only to -women, as I'm not subscribed ]
>
> Hi everybody,
>  a couple of months ago I've mailed Marga on the topic of restarting /
> giving more visibility to Debian women, as I consider it to be a very
> important area of Debian. Then me and Marga were supposed to talk about
> that at DebConf10, but one reason or another it didn't happen, then
> .... well, to cut a long and uninteresting story short, I'm *very* happy
> to see that in the last week Marga re-kick-ed-off activity here, finding
> a lot of support. Well done everybody!
>
> Now a disclaimer: I have never really participated into -women, so
> please be kind with me, as an outsider I'm say dull things :-) In the
> reminder of this mail I'll just drop down some not very structured
> ideas, in case they might help the cause.
>
> - My main reason for mailing Marga was the lack of visibility of Debian
>  Women, with no idea on whether that meant no activity or not. In any
>  case, I believe that being visible is an important part of d-w
>  activity. Furthermore, I've been observing ubuntu-women [1] activity
>  and I found them to be very much visible in their community and I
>  found a pity not to be able to say the same of your work, also
>  considering that you've been doing it for quite a while now being,
>  AFAIK, quite unique when the initiative started.
>
>  [1] http://ubuntu-women.org/
>
> - As a first tiny teeny step, I suggest adding an entry about the Women
>  team under http://wiki.debian.org/Teams, which is becoming quite a
>  relevant portal to answer questions like "how can I help Debian?"
The DebianWomen page is currently at w.d.o/DebianWomen and the
issue of moving it to w.d.o/Teams/DebianWomen has recently been
raised in another thread.

> - I then wondered whether you've been looking around for what other
>  distros have been doing. I confess I haven't, besides having seen some
>  blog posts of u-w. For instance I've noticed that they do activities
>  such as contests [2] to gather "evidence" of successful participation
>  of women in FOSS. I've no idea whether something like that makes sense
>  for d-w or not (see disclaimer above), but I thought you might want to
>  have a look at what they do, possibly also looking for collaboration
>  possibilities.
>
>  [2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-January/002406.html
>
>  This is of course not specific to Ubuntu, it just happens to be the
>  only other community I know which is doing something similar.
>
>  *If* you want to do something similar for Debian, I'm ready to use
>  Debian resources to that end, e.g. for prizes or any other nice/fun
>  motivational item you can think of.

Well the only thing I heard of recently in u-w was having your picture taken to
win prizes.  I am not against people having their picture taken but was
in the group that felt that it wasn't something d-w would do.

I believe there is a mentoring address at d.o for Debian Women.
More info on that at http://women.debian.org/mentoring/

> - "bits from d-w" I've the impression that several people in the project
>  think that "d-w is dead", I was mistaken myself in that direction. To
>  dispel that feeling, the "bits from debian women" that Marga sent via
>  news.d.n [3] are just great. Still, I believe we (i.e. you :)) should
>  also send a proper mail to d-d-a informing every DD that d-w is alive
>  and kicking.  Probably, you can just take the blog post text and mail
>  it to d-d-a.

I don't think the need for a group like d-w is ever going to go away.  I also
think it's perfectly reasonable for a project to flag as the people
either settle
down within it or find an increasing workload.

>  [3] http://news.debian.net/2010/08/24/bits-from-the-debian-women-project/
>
> - d-w meeting? I think that there is nothing as an in person meeting to
>  restart activities and poor enthusiasm into past and future
>  participants. I'm about to announce a general "debian sprint program"
>  starting this fall, but I wanted you to know that I'll be very happy
>  to poor some money into a d-w meeting, no matter that program. If you
>  like the idea, just start drafting some organization and let me know
>  how much you think it will cost. I'll do my best to have the resources
>  to let you meet :)
Other people seem to have dropped in on this one so I'll leave that to them :)

> More generally, please keep in mind that for me the kind of activities
> pushed by d-w are activities it is worth give resources to, so just be
> creative and let me know how I can help you with Debian resources!

You don't state what way you would be prepared to help nor  your
involvement with the Debian project as a whole?
Are you involved in any other way?
Perhaps it would be useful for us to know.

Please reply on list :)

Kind Regards

Lesley Binks