resource availability and (naive) ideas

[ please Cc:-me if you reply only to -women, as I'm not subscribed ]

Hi everybody,
  a couple of months ago I've mailed Marga on the topic of restarting /
giving more visibility to Debian women, as I consider it to be a very
important area of Debian. Then me and Marga were supposed to talk about
that at DebConf10, but one reason or another it didn't happen, then
.... well, to cut a long and uninteresting story short, I'm *very* happy
to see that in the last week Marga re-kick-ed-off activity here, finding
a lot of support. Well done everybody!

Now a disclaimer: I have never really participated into -women, so
please be kind with me, as an outsider I'm say dull things :-) In the
reminder of this mail I'll just drop down some not very structured
ideas, in case they might help the cause.

- My main reason for mailing Marga was the lack of visibility of Debian
  Women, with no idea on whether that meant no activity or not. In any
  case, I believe that being visible is an important part of d-w
  activity. Furthermore, I've been observing ubuntu-women [1] activity
  and I found them to be very much visible in their community and I
  found a pity not to be able to say the same of your work, also
  considering that you've been doing it for quite a while now being,
  AFAIK, quite unique when the initiative started.

  [1] http://ubuntu-women.org/

- As a first tiny teeny step, I suggest adding an entry about the Women
  team under http://wiki.debian.org/Teams, which is becoming quite a
  relevant portal to answer questions like "how can I help Debian?"

- I then wondered whether you've been looking around for what other
  distros have been doing. I confess I haven't, besides having seen some
  blog posts of u-w. For instance I've noticed that they do activities
  such as contests [2] to gather "evidence" of successful participation
  of women in FOSS. I've no idea whether something like that makes sense
  for d-w or not (see disclaimer above), but I thought you might want to
  have a look at what they do, possibly also looking for collaboration
  possibilities.

  [2] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-January/002406.html

  This is of course not specific to Ubuntu, it just happens to be the
  only other community I know which is doing something similar.

  *If* you want to do something similar for Debian, I'm ready to use
  Debian resources to that end, e.g. for prizes or any other nice/fun
  motivational item you can think of.

- I had a look at the "mentoring program" as currently drafted on
  women.d.o, and I found it great! Still, I've a couple of
  suggestions. Can't we use a proper "@debian.org" e-mail address for
  requesting mentoring? If yes, I'd say that it would also make sense to
  advertise it a bit into NM documentation, of course as a fully
  *optional* step, and just for those who request it explicitly. If you
  like the idea, I'm all for requesting such an email address and, if
  you think it's needed, even delegating who will be behind that role
  address.

- "bits from d-w" I've the impression that several people in the project
  think that "d-w is dead", I was mistaken myself in that direction. To
  dispel that feeling, the "bits from debian women" that Marga sent via
  news.d.n [3] are just great. Still, I believe we (i.e. you :)) should
  also send a proper mail to d-d-a informing every DD that d-w is alive
  and kicking.  Probably, you can just take the blog post text and mail
  it to d-d-a.

  [3] http://news.debian.net/2010/08/24/bits-from-the-debian-women-project/

- d-w meeting? I think that there is nothing as an in person meeting to
  restart activities and poor enthusiasm into past and future
  participants. I'm about to announce a general "debian sprint program"
  starting this fall, but I wanted you to know that I'll be very happy
  to poor some money into a d-w meeting, no matter that program. If you
  like the idea, just start drafting some organization and let me know
  how much you think it will cost. I'll do my best to have the resources
  to let you meet :)

More generally, please keep in mind that for me the kind of activities
pushed by d-w are activities it is worth give resources to, so just be
creative and let me know how I can help you with Debian resources!

That's all from me, I hope I haven't just repeated old/boring/recurring
topics, and I wish you good luck with your activities!

Cheers.

ti resta John Fante -- V. Caposella .......| ..: |.......... -- C. Adams