Re: Debian's Freenode IRC channels

Hi Melissa,

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:18:48PM +1100, Melissa Draper wrote:
> Vid Ayer wrote:
>> On Jan 12, 2008 12:34 PM, Melissa Draper <melissa@meldraweb.com> wrote:
>>> As part of my NY Resolutions, I decided it was time to get more involved
>>> in Debian, which involves hanging out in Debian channels more. Apart
>>> from rejoining the OFTC Debian channels, I also joined the Freenode ones
>>> since they are still the more populous. The channels I joined included
>>> #debian-offtopic - a 'secret' channel which they freely redirect
>>> offtopic conversation to if they are asked for an offtopic channel.

>> Its better to stick to the debian servers. Freenode is well freenode.
>> Even Linuxchix had a similar problem years ago, its practically not
>> possible to stop folks from creating channels. At best educate people
>> where the correct resources lie, in this case : redirect folks to the
>> debian servers.

> The Debian community extends beyond OFTC and is in fact 2.5x larger on
> Freenode than OFTC.

I really wonder what kind of an answer you're looking to get from anyone
about this.

irc.debian.org points to OFTC.

All of the Debian development channels are on OFTC.

Debian as a whole has effectively zero oversight on the #debian-* channels
on freenode.

Debian is a free OS, which means anyone is allowed to use it, including
jerks of all shapes and sizes.

So I don't know what you would expect Debian to do about this.  Surely no
one promised you that there are no Debian-using jerks on IRC?  For that
matter, I can't imagine anyone making assurances about #debian@freenode, let
alone #debian-offtopic.  Maybe the freenode channel has more people in it,
but er, evidently this is a case where more != better; and I don't know
about anyone else, but speaking for myself I don't feel any great need to
either rise to the defense of Debian users on an IRC channel I don't
frequent, or attempt to enforce behavior standards on an IRC network that
isn't affiliated with Debian.

I mean, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but whoever the people on
those channels are, by and large they're not /my/ Debian community....