Re: Debian's Freenode IRC channels

Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Melissa,
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:18:48PM +1100, Melissa Draper wrote:
>> Vid Ayer wrote:
>
>>> Its better to stick to the debian servers. Freenode is well freenode.
>>> Even Linuxchix had a similar problem years ago, its practically not
>>> possible to stop folks from creating channels. At best educate people
>>> where the correct resources lie, in this case : redirect folks to the
>>> debian servers.
>
>> The Debian community extends beyond OFTC and is in fact 2.5x larger on
>> Freenode than OFTC.
>
> I really wonder what kind of an answer you're looking to get from anyone
> about this.

Something more positive and less dismissive, that's for sure.

> irc.debian.org points to OFTC.
>
> All of the Debian development channels are on OFTC.
>
> Debian as a whole has effectively zero oversight on the #debian-* channels
> on freenode.

I object to this. "Debian as a whole" includes the ordinary users, whichever IRC network they prefer. I am not a developer, packager, documenter or anything of the sort. 99% of my FOSS work is done directly at the user level.

> Debian is a free OS, which means anyone is allowed to use it, including
> jerks of all shapes and sizes.
>
> So I don't know what you would expect Debian to do about this.  Surely no
> one promised you that there are no Debian-using jerks on IRC?

I don't recall claiming that I was promised that there were no jerks. I was not promised anything to that degree. It was merely indicated to me often that Debian-Women had achieved what Ubuntu-Women had not. To me, Ubuntu-Women has achieved a far further reach than the inner circles.

> For that
> matter, I can't imagine anyone making assurances about #debian@freenode, let > alone #debian-offtopic. Maybe the freenode channel has more people in it,
> but er, evidently this is a case where more != better; and I don't know
> about anyone else, but speaking for myself I don't feel any great need to
> either rise to the defense of Debian users on an IRC channel I don't
> frequent, or attempt to enforce behavior standards on an IRC network that
> isn't affiliated with Debian.

I was not asking anyone to defend their sexist behaviour. I was merely noting an observation about it, from the POV of a relative newcomer to the community.

> I mean, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but whoever the people on
> those channels are, by and large they're not /my/ Debian community....

Sorry, but the parts of the Debian community you don't care about, do reflect on /your/ Debian community.

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com