Re: A list for D-W translators

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):

> I am trying to open doors, not close them. Where are the closed-doors
> thoughts coming from? Who is threatened by this very innocent
> proposal, and why?

Hmm, typical misunderstanding in mail discussions.

As far as I know, no-one, at least voluntarily, "threatens" you, or
closes doors.

A few people in this thread explained they fail to see the real point
in creating a dedicated debian-women-i18n mailing list (or whatver we
call it). They gave reasons for this not being, in their opinion, not
really the way to go.

It appears that you have a different view on that matter, which is not
a big deal. After all, different points of view on a given topic is
not exactly uncommon..:-)

So, this discussion is just a matter of exchanging ideas, and listen
to other people arguments (probably the most difficult thing to do,
especially by mail).

Knowing the people involved in this discussion, none of them has the
intent of threatening neither you nor anyone else. This is just a
debate...

So far, from my point of view, you need to bring more arguments for
people to accept that neither -i18n nor -women mailing lists are
suitable for the purposes you have:

-work on i18n for the debian-women web site

-mentor new female translators

(this is my understanding of your concerns)

What has been told up to now:

-i18n of the d-w web site can be discussed on the debian-women mailing
 list, possibly with a special marker such as [i18n]

-mentoring of new female translators can happen on -i18n. After all,
 Clytie, this is exactly what we did with you...and it worked quite
 well with, as far as I have seen, no real nfriendly environment
 Sure, you are actually an experienced translator, who just needed a
 better knowledge of the way i18n/l10n work in Debian...but the case
 is not really different for beginners in l10n

I see one advantage in keeping mentoring to -i18n: this would benefit
to all translators....and the mentees would benefit from all other
translators comments and help.

And, be sure of this, if unfriendly comments are made in -i18n, I will
be the first to react.