Re: A list for D-W translators

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 03:06:15PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 29/07/2005, at 4:53 PM, Patty Langasek wrote:

> >Debian Women isn't supposed to be
> >a crutch or a shield to forever hide behind. It's *supposed* to be
> >a way to
> >introduce, incubate and encourage those who are otherwise
> >intimidated in
> >building and sharing their skillset.

> Which is what I said, I thought.

> I don't think I've ever run into a situation like this before: where
> I have a number of people with a specific technical area who wish to
> form a group, the aims of which (to encourage women in this area and
> mentor them into the main arena) fit with the main group, and my
> requests on the list for information about setting it up only receive
> disagreement.

What is not at all obvious, and what IMHO you have not adequately addressed,
is why there is anything about "women translators in OSS" that doesn't
belong on either the debian-women list, or the debian-i18n list.  Some of us
are extremely wary of anything that hints at the development of structures
in *parallel* to what already exists in Debian, and by your own admission
this appears to be a duplication of the debian-i18n list for no other reason
than that certain unnamed women aren't comfortable diving into the existing
group.  I'm sorry, but debian-i18n is not a high-traffic list, nor a flamey
one -- the biggest barrier at work there is people's own preconceptions and
reluctance to get involved in the community, and I don't think you'd be
doing anybody any favors by giving them an additional opportunity to remain
marginalized within Debian.

> I've come here asking for help with the technical matter of setting
> up the list. If it really doesn't fit with the aims of D-W (and I
> thought it did), then I'll need to do it elsewhere. This might in the
> end be more appropriate, since the translation arena covers several
> projects, not just Debian, but this seemed to me to be the logical
> place to do it, where the aims match.

Well, if it's not specific to Debian, that's a fair reason to create a
separate list; but in that case it also sounds to me like lists.debian.org
isn't the most appropriate place for it either.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer