Re: A list for D-W translators

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:31:29PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> I'm only trying to do this, in order to provide a specific example of
> what D-W does, for a specific group. My aim is to get the barriers
> out of the way by using that group to address them, and thus support
> and mentor others into the main i18n field. I don't think this
> breaches any of the D-W aims. I suppose I could do it elsewhere, but
> this seemed like the right place.

This is exactly why Debian-Women was created and how it should be utilized.
You don't have to just stick with general involvement in Debian - this whole
organization has been designed to encourage women (and non-traditionals) to
become involved in *whatever* aspects of Debian they are most comfortable.
Splinting off in different cliques and niches will inevitably end up more
self-defeating than helpful in the long run.

I don't think another *list* is needed. I think this list is perfect for
this aim, and once newcomers feel more comfortable with presenting their
assistance and suggestions to a larger part of the community, they should be
encouraged to do so in the "main fields". Debian Women isn't supposed to be
a crutch or a shield to forever hide behind. It's *supposed* to be a way to
introduce, incubate and encourage those who are otherwise intimidated in
building and sharing their skillset.

Patty Langasek
harmoney@dodds.net

At times, you may end up far away from you; you may not be
sure of where you belong, anymore. But home is always
there... because home is not a place. It's wherever your
passion takes you.
                                --- J. Michael Straczynski