Re: Next #d-women forum; topics anyone?

tir, 2004-12-28 kl. 01:07 skrev Erinn Clark:
> * Dabian [2004:12:28 00:38 +0100]:
> > man, 2004-12-27 kl. 14:14 skrev Helen Faulkner:
> > > Thanks very much for allowing yourself to be volunteered to take the job,
> > > Matthew!  :)
> >
> > Is it really nessesary to +m the channel?  I thought we did fine without
> > moderation on the last meeting?  I agree its nice of you to volunteer
> > though.
>
> Eh? We had a moderator at the last one -- Helen. I think perhaps you don't
> understand what moderating is.

If I were at last meeting, and it was moderated, I am quite sure I don't
know what moderating is, maybe it has a special meaning on freenode.
However ... outside freenode, on the original
IRC-nets, moderated channels are described in RFC1459
(http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1459.html search for "moderated").

I guess my misunderstanding is either that the word means something else
on freenode, or (us-american) english.  I have looked it up using the
dict command, and this is what I get:

1 definition found

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 (August 2003) [wn]:

  moderate
<CUT>
      v 1: preside over; "John moderated the discussion" [syn: {chair},
            {lead}]
      2: make less fast or intense; "moderate your speed"
      3: lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or
         keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold
         your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger"
         [syn: {control}, {hold in}, {hold}, {contain}, {check},
         {curb}]
      4: make less severe or harsh; "He moderated his tone when the
         students burst out in tears" [syn: {mince}, {soften}]
      5: make less strong or intense; soften; "Tone down that
         aggressive letter"; "The author finally tamed some of his
         potentially offensive statements" [syn: {tone down},
         {tame}]
      6: restrain or temper [syn: {chasten}, {temper}]

To be frank, it seems to me that translated to IRC, this goes very well
with RFC1459.  However, I guess that lack of tradition with english
put up a hindernes that hides the true meaning of "moderation" from me.

At any rate, thanks for clearing up that I got this wrong,
I'm sorry if this mail is a bit messy, but its getting late here, and
I'm on my way to bed.

Dabian .