Re: PHP PEAR packages

> > > As i mentioned in the other mail. Here is a working
> > > verion http://www.steinmann.cx/debian/pool/main/d/dh-make-php/
> >
> > Very nice. Why has it not been uploaded? Does it need special approval
> > as a dh- script?
> No, not that I know. I just didn't consider it mature enough for
> a package to create other packages. Yes, you are right, I could have
> published it better. There is also debhelper (dh_pecl) included
> which should actually be part of the debhelper (bug #238834). It would
> be nice if it became part of debhelper before dh-make-php becomes
> official.

On second thought, maybe we ought to first make some high level policy
decisions about issues such as the recent current *.orig.tar.gz
discussion, and make sure that they are all handled properly.

Further, I agree with the TODO list at:

   http://www.madism.org/debian.pear.php

that it would be good to have some helper scripts for individual tasks,
even if they were also called by dh_make_pear (oh, and by the way, in
order to be more consistent with other dh_* packages, perhaps you should
call yours dh_make_pear instead of dh-make-pear).

Here are some tasks that could be decomposed into helper scripts:

 - create debian/copyright from package.xml
 - create debian/control from package.xml
 - create debian/docs and debian/examples
 - extract upstream changelog from package.xml (into
   debian/changelog.upstream?)
 - create documentation using phpDocumenter

That said, perhaps it would be just as good to simply have a
standard dh_make_pear. As long as we came up with a standard policy,
that might be sufficient.

The potential advantages of having separate helper scripts, on the other
hand, is that it would give more flexibility in using them outside of
dh_make_pear.

Charles

--
Shaving brush