Re: PHP PEAR packages

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:56:11AM -0400, Charles Fry wrote:
> > As i mentioned in the other mail. Here is a working
> > verion http://www.steinmann.cx/debian/pool/main/d/dh-make-php/
>
> Very nice. Why has it not been uploaded? Does it need special approval
> as a dh- script?
No, not that I know. I just didn't consider it mature enough for
a package to create other packages. Yes, you are right, I could have
published it better. There is also debhelper (dh_pecl) included
which should actually be part of the debhelper (bug #238834). It would
be nice if it became part of debhelper before dh-make-php becomes
official.

> > >  - Properly install all files, bsaed on package.xml locations
> > jup
>
> Good.
>
> > >  - Extract the description from package.xml
> > implemented
>
> Only problem here was that you incorrectly left a blank line after the
> Description summary line, and fail to remove blank lines from the end of
> the summary. Still, nice job. :-)
Oh yes, I hit that bug not to far ago but somehow missed it to fix it.

> > >  - Extract the changelog from package.xml
> > not yet, but I'm unsure if it makes sense
>
> Why not?
I usualy do an initial build of the pear/pecl package with dh-make-php
and then mantain it without the help of it. Taking all changelog entries
from package.xml may overload the debian changelog and to me it doesn't
make sense to include changelog entries before the first release of the
debian package.

> > >  - Extract the license from package.xml
> > i should think about it
>
> It would be better than your current assumption of GPL. Also, it would
> be easy for you to put the full URL from where the package was
> downloaded in the copyright file, rather than just putting pear.php.net.
Your are right, shouldn't be to difficult either.

> Oh, and one more thing. You should remove the following two lines from
> your dh-make scripts:
>
>     DEBTEMPDIR=/home/steinm/projects_cvs/dh-make-php/pear.template
>     DEBMAINTAINER="Uwe Steinmann <steinm@debian.org>"
Well, that sounds like a very good idea :-)

> All in all, very well done. I personally far prefer this solution over
> the other two solutions.
>
> In fact, I would be in favor of moving forward with uploading this (or a
> variation of it) to Debian.
Ok, I'll try to fix the errors and do an upload.

   Uwe

--
  MMK GmbH, Universitaetsstr. 11, 58097 Hagen
  Uwe.Steinmann@mmk-hagen.de