Re: PHP PEAR packages

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 10:18:35AM -0400, Charles Fry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently filed two ITPs for PHP PEAR packages (bugs #315366 and
> #315368). In order to figure out how to create these packages I looked
> at several current PEAR packages (php-file, php-mail-mime, php-auth,
> php-date), and then tried to extract the packaging principles used in
> each.
>
> I then stumbled accross the following two PEAR packaging
> assistants/guides:
>
>    http://pear-package.alioth.debian.org/
>    http://www.madism.org/debian.pear.php
>
> I breifly discussed these options with Piotr on bug #294061, and he
> recommended the discussion of this subject on this list.
>
> It seems to me that Debian should have either some very clear
> guidelines/templates for packaging PEAR packages, and/or a utility such
> as pear-package to do the standard work for you.

It's certainly possible to create a tool that would help package php
PEAR/PECL modules.

This issue has been discussed before:

However, I don't think that we should support PECL/PEAR as a replacement
for dpkg, but handle it similarly to CPAN (dh-make-perl).

I'll get started on a dh-make-php

Regards,
Neil
--