Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

Moin

On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 11:05:21AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> My recent experience with servers (10 and 25 Gbits/s dual port SFP+) is that
> you need firmware for network cards when running with:
> - Broadcom (bnx2 / bnx2x)
> - Qlogic
> - Intel (they partially work without the firmware-misc-nonfree package
> though)

Sure, why add expensive flash if you got a pretty good operating system
available to feed you everything in properly sized bites.

> No additional package is needed for Mellanox cards.

The kernel drivers for newer Mellanox cards contain some support for
firmware loading.  I haven't checked what they feed, but they can.

It comes all down to cost.  Hardware is often bootstrapped with SPI
flash, which is slow, much slower then the PCIe interface.

But this gets off-topic.

Bastian

--
Captain's Log, star date 21:34.5...