Re: Changing how we handle non-free firmware

On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 06:43:41PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o dijo [Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 04:13:20PM -0400]:
> > Whether we recommend the one with non-free firmware or not (some have
> > proposed that the "free" installer would have "visual priority",
> > whatever that means), I suspect there will be various Linux newbie or
> > FAQ's, external to Debian, that will warn users that the using the
> > "free" installer will just cause them pain and frustration.
>
> Of course. OTOH, without the firmware, we cause that same pain and
> frustration. You might be making a good point for Steve's original
> proposal, of course.
>
> > So there may be some unintended consequences where new users may
> > associate "100% free software" with "not functional" and "induces pain
> > and frustration", such that it might end up *hurting* the cause of
> > free software.
>
> The sad thing is... That it is true :-(

In case it wasn't clear, yes, I was indeed trying to make an argument
in favor for Steve's original proposal.

I would consider making both installers equally easy to find a better
outcome than the current status quo, where the version which is more
likely to be useful for modern laptops is kept hidden and hard to find
(under the sign, "beware of the leopard").  But I consider it an
inferior choice to Steve's original proposal.

					- Ted